Thursday, February 16, 2012

Honey Soy Tofu Stir Fry: When your efforts are fruitful


I posted about the pending energy crisis in my house.  I was not on track to meet my goal of reducing energy usage by 5% from last year, and therefore would not be able to receive my energy credit.  The thought of not getting the energy credit has put me in a little bit of an "energy conservation frenzy" where even the kids are running around and turning off lights.

Friend SH bought me the most wonderful label maker as a Valentine's day present and with it I labeled all the cords in my kitchen so I can leave all appliances unplugged and only plug in when I actually use them.  I bought a clothesline to line dry my clothes using the heater that is running in the house as my dryer.  I sit in the dark for 10 minutes a day.  I have unplugged all stereo equipment, all TV equipment during the week (since we never watch anyways) and have basically tried to reduce the energy consumption, planned or unplanned from the house.

Guess what.  I'm almost on track.  I'm almost on track to meet my energy goal.  I am a few units off, according to my PGE webpage where I've been tracking it, but I went from "not on track to meet your goal" to "almost on track" in about two weeks.  And can I tell you?  Achieving that end result has been nothing short of exciting.  It's WONDERFUL to get there.  It feels GREAT to move, even if it is as silly as getting a stinking energy credit.  I'll take that feeling of success to the bank, thank you very much.

Now, I made this tofu dish the first time, and really wasn't happy with the flavor.  I mean, it tasted good, was tasty, but the flavor combination that I was looking for in my head somehow didn't make it onto the plate, so I decided to try again.  This time, when I tried again, I found the flavor that I wanted and the enjoyment I had missed out on the last time.

It's been nice this week, getting reminded that when you try, try hard at something, and give it your all - good things happen from your effort.  The energy credit?  More meaningful because I've been working at it.  The tofu dish?  Better because I had to try again to make it.  I love it when life gives back as much as you put in.
Honey Soy Tofu Stir Fry
Serves 6

Ingredients
2 packages of 14 oz to 16 oz firm tofu
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

¼ onion, finely chopped
4 scallions, cut into 2 inch lengths

3 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon sake
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (ground chili peppers) - up to you depending on your heat
preference

1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
A large pinch of black pepper

Method
Cut tofu into 1 inch cubes. Place tofu on paper towels and allow water to drain from tofu, for about 10 minutes.

In a small bowl mix together soy sauce, honey, sake, garlic, ginger and sambal oelek. Set aside.

Heat heavy skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add tofu carefully, watching for splatters. Be careful! You can be hit with oil. Begin browning tofu on all sides, until most sides are golden brown. Total cooking time is about 8 to 10 minutes, until tofu is golden. Remove tofu from oil using a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.

Reduce heat to medium and in the same pan, same oil, add onions and scallions, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add soy sauce mixture and cook, until sauce is reduced down and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add tofu and mix together, until tofu is all coated. Drizzle sesame oil, sprinkle sesame seeds and black pepper and do one more final toss.

Serve with rice. Enjoy.

Printable recipe

One perfect morsel.

3 comments:

Javelin Warrior said...

Joanne, normally I'm not a big fan of tofu chunks, but I love what you've done with these! The color, the texture, and flavors - I could easily be persuaded =) I have featured this post in today's Friday Food Fetish roundup. Let me know if you have any objections and thanks as ever for the inspiration...

Meghan said...

This was delicious! I halved the tofu and added some chopped bok choy and snow peas for some veggies, instead. Thanks for sharing.

Robin said...

Still trying to find a way to get my family to like tofu. Perhaps this one will work! Thanks for the recipe!

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (4) bbq (8) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) beets (1) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (2) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (7) breakfast (25) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (5) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (7) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (17) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (42) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (2) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (14) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (2) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (37) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (11) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) miso (1) mochi (2) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (12) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (4) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (26) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) scones (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (20) simple (6) slaw (1) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (13) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (7) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (13) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (13) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (22) vegetarian (39) velvet (1) vitamix (3) walnuts (1) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)